Care Instructions for Serving Trays and Salad Tongs
To clean, simply sponge with warm soapy water (use ordinary, mild dish soap), rinse, wipe dry and then leave in open air to fully dry. Once dry they can be stored along with other serving items.
Please, do not let the trays or tongs soak in water or put them in the dishwasher. Even though the 3 coats of tung oil finish have pretty much waterproofed them, the finish might eventually wear with use and may become permeable to water. They are wood could in time soak up water and possibly warp and/or crack. Don’t even think of microwaving these items.
You may want to recondition the trays if they begin to look scruffy after much use. To regain the natural beauty, you should:
- Let the tray dry in open air for several days after a good cleaning.
- Sand the non-bark surfaces with 180 or 220 grit sandpaper until scratches are removed and then follow up with 320 and 400 grit sandpaper.
- Vacuum off the sanding dust.
- Liberally apply the polymerized tung oil (available from us) with a soft paint brush to all surfaces (including the bark), going over any areas that become dry from having absorbed the tung oil.
- After about 15 min. strongly wipe off any unabsorbed finish with a paper towel.
- Let the finish cure for about 24 hours before using the tray again.
I would gladly recondition your charcuterie boards or salad tongs at any time for a small service fee; just give me a call.
My best wishes,
781-258-9847 or email@example.com