Live-edge, yew charcuterie board with a unique integral handle
- Tray measures about 12" in diameter x 1" thick x 4½" high at the handle.
- Handle was formed from and follows the angle of a branch as it grew off the rootball; it makes a gentle upward curve that gives the tray an artful touch and it helps pick up and pass the tray.
- In addition to the handle, under the handle and on the opposite end a finger pocket is carved out of the bottom (see photos) to make it easier to pick up the board from a flat surface.
- Almost all the bark is retained and is firmly attached; any small crevices in the bark are filled and sealed with black epoxy resin.
- Any natural stress cracks/checks or holes from insects or soft bark inclusions have been cleaned out and filled with epoxy resin (with embedded mica pigment) to improve stability, to prevent food particles from lodging there and to add a little matching color and sparkle.
- The board is finished with 3 coats of in-the-wood, food-safe polymerized tung oil and is silky smooth.
- The wood comes from a yew shrub reclaimed from a local construction site in the Needham, MA, area.